During High school I was one of those students who never really had to work for my marks, I had the uncanny ability to leave my assignment till the night before and still manage full marks that is ..till I got to university, my first year was a disaster I was barely passing my units I was stressed and depressed, what got me through high school was clearly not working in university. So to stop my second year in university from being a disaster as well and to save my gpa I decided to learn how to study from scratch! spoiler: It worked and my marks have tripled since I adopted these habits. So here are the things I started doing!
– I invested in school supplies that I NEEDED and not just for aesthetic, example I bought tons and tons of basic cheap notebooks because I knew I was going to do a lot of writing and things like flashcards. My rule of thumb was if its functional its perfect.
– I attended every lecture and every class no matter what the time was! This is essential as it saves time later when you are rushing around trying to catch up.
– I tried to stay up to date no matter what! Before I would let lecture after lecture pile up but ever since doing this, my study life has been much easier to cope with.
– UNDERSTANDING EVERYTHING YOU LEARN FROM THAT WEEK, I cannot stress how much this has helped me. If I am learning about a topic in week 5, I have to understand it fully in week 5, not when I am in finals week and stressing out. I use resources such as textbooks and the internet to help me understand or I will ask my teacher. The important thing is I understand it fully.
– Be organised! Know when you have an assignment due, there are so many ways to do this. Handheld planner, wall planner, phone reminders, there is apps such as my study life. Anything that will remind you to get started on the thing before it is too late.
– Review your notes weekly or fortnightly!!! Memory works by relearning, instead of cramming the night before exams, review weeks before.
– Break down your essays weeks before its due, you don’t have to start writing them right away but at least start thinking about them.
– Utilise any free time, for example instead of listening to music on my 45 min bus ride to uni I started listening to a psych podcast or doing my readings for that day.
– Have mental health days, I found out how difficult it is to study and how necessary it is to take breaks. Studying is stressful, have days/half days where you relax and look after yourself.
-Cut down on caffeine, I was a serial coffee addict, Im talking 4 shots a cup three times a day. Cutting down reduced my anxiety and got me sleeping more, which improved my mood and energy.
– Have a study buddy/group, find someone who is serious about their study and have study sessions with them, you get to study and have a social life.
– Find a study schedule that suits you, don’t feel pressure to get up at 5 am if you find it easier to study at 6pm.
– Have a study place, that you know you will study in! It can be your local library, your desk, your bed. Anything that you find will work for you!
Okay if I were to reiterate the points that I think are true because it is EXACTLY my experience, then I’d have to copy and paste everything! LEGIT EVERYTHING IN THIS POST – IF YOU WERE LIKE ME AND BREEZED THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL AND NOW UR IN LIMBO IN UNI THIS IS THE POST!!!!!
But also, go to lectures lmao